Reinventing the Wheel with Blue-Sky Thinking – Why Jargon Never Impresses Anyone
Speaker: Daniel Barnett
- Why jargon never impresses anyone
- Examples of jargon and how to avoid it
The Art of Innovation
Speaker: Doug Shaw, Artist and Organisational Development Consultant
- Exploring curiosity
- Identifying and applying the creative process
- Learning ways to come up with new ideas and overcoming creative blocks
- Reflecting on and adapting our own creative strengths and weaknesses
Member Spotlight 1 – Hello, is it me you’re looking for?
Penny Douglass, HR Inner Circle member and director of GHA Cornwall
In six minutes, Penny explores whether employers are losing valuable talent by refusing to employ people with visible tattoos and piercings.
The World Moves On… Is HR Management Redundant?
Speaker: Roger Seifert, Professor of HR Management and Industrial Relations, Wolverhampton Business School
- HR is becoming a low skilled and low priority activity in terms of areas such as recruitment, training, and performance management
- The impact of the 2008 crash and Brexit
Member Spotlight 2 - Did he really get a First from Oxford?
Mike Clyne, HR Inner Circle member and director of FeMan Consulting
Mike discusses why background checks work, what to avoid when conducting background checks, and how to outsource effectively in this six-minute spotlight session.
Evaluating Credibility: Finding the Truth at Interview
Speaker: Phil Willcox, Founder and Principal Speaker, Emotion At Work
- Investigate the types of deception that commonly occur at interview
- Validate the verbal and nonverbal cues or clues that can help you assess truthfulness
- Planning interviews that are easy for truth-tellers & hard for liars
Speaker: Caspar Berry, Speaker and Trainer on Risk and Uncertainty
- The impact of uncertainty when making decisions and allocating resources
- Breaking out of risk-averse habits
- How to innovate and seize opportunity
Awkward Conversations for Line Managers
Speaker: Daniel Barnett
A rare chance to hear a 15 minute preview of Daniel's new 2 hour keynote speech, freshly developed for 2017, on how to dismiss staff fairly and avoid being sued.
Member Spotlight 3 - The Only Way is Ethics
Paul Helsby, HR Inner Circle Member and founder of Paul Helsby HR
In the third of our six minute spotlight sessions, Paul explores the role of ethics in HR Consulting, particularly in relation to workplace investigations, and considers whether it’s always possible to do the ‘right thing’.
Resilience – How to Lead by Example rather than Hypocrisy
Speaker: Ian Pettigrew, Kingfisher Coaching
- What do we really mean by resilience?
- How can we help people to help themselves?
- What are the potential blindspots, where we inadvertently make things worse?
Member Spotlight 4 – How to Deal With Difficult People
Nancy Prest, HR Inner Circle member and founder of Doodle HR
Our final six minute spotlight session features Nancy giving her tips for dealing with difficult people.